Back Blurb for Dawn's Awakening-
New York Times bestselling author Lora Leigh takes us on an erotic thrill ride with her series about genetically altered Breeds with feline DNA—and the humans who arouse their lust…
The runt of the lab she was created in, Dawn Daniels endured years of torture by her pride brother and the council soldiers. Finally freed from her torment, she’s now a Breed Enforcer, in control of her own life. Until she’s assigned to protect the one man destined to be her mate—and realizes it’sfar too easy to lose total control…
One of the Breed’s most important supporters, Seth Lawrence has spent years trying to forget Dawn, knowing that her lost innocence has made it impossible for her to get close to anyone. But suddenly neither of them can find the strength to fight the overwhelming passion between them. At least until the most brutal tormenter from Dawn’s past reappears—and threatens to destroy theirnewfound love, along with their lives…
Now I have to admit something...I'm not a huge Lora Leigh fan. For some reason, this Breed series has gripped me in its sweaty grip and won't let go, but I'm fighting to get free. *sigh*
Anyway...DA is one of those books that has a lot of potential, but just doesn't work IMHO. Here are the reasons why-
1. Dawn was horribly (and I do mean HORRIBLY) abused while at the mercy of the scientists who created her. So, it's understandable that she would fear men. However, she's "blocked" it all out, so her fear of her "true" mate is irrational (to her).
2. Though she pushed away her "true" mate years ago and hasn't really had anything to do with him, finding out that he's had sex with other women pushes her into a killing rage. Say what? He's her mate, therefore he's not allowed to have a life outside of her even though she refused to have anything to do with him for ten years???? Oy! I so wanted to smack her upside the head. Talk about pathetic.
3. I hate contrived plot "twists". Things that are glossed over for the sake of plot are stupid and should be exiled from books for good.
4. She's abused by her Pride Brother, but there's no actual description to what he really & truly did. Instead, it's hinted at, which is annoying since it's supposedly an integral part of the plot.
5. Callan, her brother, is a control freak and a jackass. 'Nuff said.
6. Dawn is a b**ch. Controlling with no real good qualities. So she was abused...boo-hoo. Now she's obnoxious and annoying.
7. Seth is not a hero. He's boring. He fell in "love" or lust or whatever with Dawn ten years ago because of mating heat. Oh whatever!
Anyway, I can't find anything about this book to rave about. The heroine is annoying, the hero is a milquetoast and the only interesting part of the story was Cassie & the assassin, but he'll probably end up being some obnoxious control-freak of a Breed who ends up saving her life...and then controlling her to the point of a lobotomy.
Also, Ms. Leigh is known for her erotica. That said, why does she always refer to a woman's butt as rear? It's extremely jarring. Ass would work much better in context to the sex scene. Rear is so not the right word to use in the scenes...trust me. It's funny, and not in an intentional way.
Rating: D I know there are a lot of diehard LL fans out there who rave over these books & that's fine. But, honestly, I can't stand them. So why do I keep buying this series? It's a sickness, I tell you. *sigh*
You can visit Lora Leigh here