Friday, June 27, 2008

Night Keepers by Jessica Andersen

Back Blurb-


The end of time looms, and Mayan demons have surfaced from the underworld to trigger an apocalypse. But as the final day approaches, the descendants of ancient warrior-priests prepare to fight back...

As a Miami narcotics detective, Leah Daniels never knows how her day will turn out. But she certainly doesn't expect to be strapped to a stone altar as the human sacrifice in an ancient Mayan ritual meant to coax a demon from the underworld--or to be saved by a handsome warrior-priest king, who claims to recognize her from his visions.

Striking Jaguar thinks he is the last of the Nightkeeper warrior-priests, but as the end-time approaches, his mentor reveals there are twelve others. In reuniting them, Strike--king by birthright--gains the power to summon a Mayan god to combat the demons. But the woman of his visions is the gods' chosen sacrifice. Now he must decide between love and duty..or find another way to invoke otherworldly magic in a death-defying race against the end of time.


Okay, here's a question for the masses, how is it that the last 2 books I've read have both been beyond trippy. And I don't mean maybe.

This book so so beyond insane I don't even know how to classify it. I'd definitely say it's more UF than paranormal romance. Yes, there's sex, but the rest of the story definitely overwhelms the romantic aspects of the story.

Poor Leah. Her life has gone to the crapper. People dying left and right. Weird cult-like weirdness. Strange hot man who is straight from her hottest dreams. It's a toss-up at what's craziest.

Striking Jaguar. First of all, can I just say that I think that's one of the stupidest names I've ever heard...ever? I'm sorry, but honestly? Bad, bad, bad. *sigh*

Yeah...again with crazy nonsense. Here's my checklist.

End of the world. Yup.
Clashing male/female ratio. Yup
Sexin'. Yup
Evil. Yup
Good. Yup
Trippy world-building. Oh yeah.
Too much going on. Yup.
Overwhelming storyline. Yup
Sex. Yup.
I love you though I don't know you. Yup
Ultimate showdown between good and evil. Yup, with more to come.

Okay, so that's just the most basic of plot-points, but that's it in a nutshell.

I don't know about anybody else, but the last season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer played through my head, especially once the other Nightkeepers came along. Very much so. Anyone else get that vibe or am I just weird??? :)


What I liked-

The world-building. Wowzers. Confusing much? But, boy is it a fun confusion.
The characters. For the most part, excellent.
The history. Trippy and so much fun.

What I didn't like-


Very JR Ward-esque in verbage. In some ways it was like reading the BDB. Pop culture references and the like. Thankfully, these Mayan descendants do not talk ghetto-slang. If it was that, I'd have skipped the story.

The 2 main characters-Whiny and annoying. I don't want to be king. Yes, I do want to be king. I want to die. No, I don't want to die. Make up your minds already! Argh!


Did I like the book? Yes and I will read the rest of the series once they come out.

Is it a keeper? Yes, for now. If the next books sucks, then it's going to the UBS.

Rating-C+

1 comment:

Tracy said...

I still haven't read this one, even though it's been in my pile for over a month now. So many books!!! lol