Sunday, July 13, 2008

Novels of The Darkyn by Lynn Viehl

I could write about each book individually, but the novels are so tightly interwoven that I feel writing about all of them at once will do just fine. :)


Books in the series:


IF ANGELS BURN
PRIVATE DEMON
DARK NEED
EVERMORE
NIGHT LOST
TWILIGHT FALL


The novels of the Darkyn seem to be more the continuing saga of Alexandra Keller and her brother John. In the first book of the series, Alex was kidnapped by Michael Cyprian, the American head of the Darkyn. He'd been seriously disfigured and needed her help as a reconstructive surgeon to repair his wounds.

Their was a major power play between the two, Alex was turned, and la-di-da. Supposedly this series is considered paranormal romance, but to me it reads more like urban fantasy. There is sex and some romance, but it seems overshadowed by the continuing struggle between the Darkyn and their hated enemy The Brethren.

Each of the romances in each book felt flat to me. I couldn't understand why the characters were in love with each other. However, the stories themselves are fascinating. Ms. Viehl specializes at dropping little nuggets of information throughout the series that come to mean things further down the line. It's like following a trail of breadcrumbs to the major reveal.

I personally love authors who succeed at this. There's nothing that I hate more than having a story literally fall apart because an author gave away all the information before the big reveal. I have a feeling it won't be until the very last book before everything is revealed. She'd better give all the answers by the end of the series. Otherwise, she will have some VERY unhappy readers out here in blogland.

Alex has grown on me throughout the series. For the first few books she just came across as annoying and pretty stupid. She doesn't know when to keep her mouth shut and has some moments throughout where I just wanted to smack her upside the head. All I can say is that Michael has the patience of a saint. However, throughout the series, she's gotten better. She's learning to be smart about what she says. And when she goes back? I won't go into details because it's a pretty major moment, but it was almost heartbreaking.

The biggest part of the series, as I stated above, is the continuing saga of Alex and her brother John. John was a priest who, after a bit of crisis of faith, turned his back on his calling. Trust me when I say I completely understand why. Now I don't know if Ms. Viehl has issues with Catholicism or something, but she doesn't paint a very pretty picture of it. Supposedly The Brethren started out as an offshoot of the faith, but turned evil by greed and fanaticism. They are very, very insane. When you find out who the Darkyn really are? It's a pretty big shock. At least, it was to me. :)

I just finished reading the latest book in the series, Twilight Fall. It answered some major questions, but who-boy it sure brought up a whole bunch more. What in the world is going on? And John? Anyone have any theories on what his fate will be? I am really, really wanting to know.

I didn't like the first book at all, but each book gets better and better. If you're not hooked by the end of the second one...well, there's something wrong with you. I'm not in it for the romance. I'm in it for the intrigue and the say what moments. Ms. Viehl has created a world that is truly fascinating. I'm glad I finally sat down to read them all.

If anyone is interested in reading this series, I recommend starting at the beginning and reading in sequence. There are too many things that happen that make the most sense if read in order. Enjoy! I know I sure did.


My Overall Rating of the series: B

2 comments:

Ciara said...

These are on my TBR list. I think you were the one who suggested them to me? i'm looking forward to trying them, but probably will have to wait until August, when all these writing conferences are done. So many books, so little time! Thanks!

Tracy said...

I have the first one on my shelf - good to know you liked the series!