Monday, September 29, 2008

50 Ways to Hex Your Lover by Linda Wisdom

I was given the opportunity to do some reviews and this was the first one I was given. I haven't checked Ms. Wisdom's site to verify, but I believe this book is the 2nd in the series. Here is the back blurb.

Jasmine Tremaine is a witch who can't stay out of trouble. Nikolai Gregorivich is a vampire cop on the trail of a serial killer. The sizzling love affair between Jazz and Nick has been on-again, off-again for about 300 years--mostly off, lately. But now Nick needs Jazz's help, and while Jazz and Nick try to figure out their own hearts and resist their increasing attraction, they must steer clear of a maniacal killer with super-natural powers. They are surrouned by a hilarious cast o oddball paranormal characters including Irma (says Norma on the back cover, but it's Irma) the chain-smoking ghost who haunts Jazz's classic sports car; Dweezil, her ghoul of a boss; and Fluff and Puff, a pair of bunny slippers with sharp teeth and short tempers (watch your ankles)!


What to say about this book? I have to admit when I first started reading it, I put it down quite a few times. It's not that it's badly written. It's that I got confused as to who was who and what in the world was going on. I don't know if there was a book before this, but I honestly had no clue as to what was happening at all.

This book is one of those intentionally funny books that tries to get a laugh out of the reader. I found it cute, but I didn't quite see the humor in it. Maybe I'm cynical; maybe it's what's been going on this past week, but I just didn't think it was as funny as it was intending to be. Also, I couldn't understand why Jazz was so upset with Nick. I mean, it's never really fully divulged. She just comes across as a bit of a shrew.

I think that's my biggest issue with this book. Jazz is supposed to be this smart, kick-butt heroine, but to me, she comes across more like a brat. She's mouthy and sometimes just plain obnoxious.

I didn't hate this book. That's not it at all, but I can honestly say it's not one of my favorites. I think if past history had been included with more of an explanation as to why Jazz and Nick's relationship is so unstable, I would have been able to cheer them on all the more.

I think if some more explanation and divulging of what all had happened in the past had happened, I would have enjoyed the book more. Instead, I spent most of it flipping back trying to remember who did what to whom and why.


My Rating: C

1 comment:

Tracy said...

It's amazing to blog hop and see everyone's views on the same book. I think I'll start with her first one...eventually. :)