Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Cat Star Chronicles: Warrior by Cheryl Brooks

I was given this book to review. Lucky me.


Back Blurb:


Even near death, his sensuality is amazing...

Leo arrives on Tisana's doorstep a beaten slave from a near-extinct race with feline genes. As soon as Leo recovers his strength, he'll use his extraordinary sexual talents to bewitch Tisana and make a bolt for freedom...

She has only one chance to tame him...

Tisana, whose healing powers are legendary, already knows Leo's the one who can help her fulfill her destiny...she can't let him get away now.

Forced together on a dangerous journey, Tisana must reveal all of her powers, and Leo must give all of himself to gain his freedom...


I promised myself when I first got approached to review books that I would always be honest with myself and my readers when it comes to the books I'm asked to review.

And with this book, I will be honest and say I didn't like it at all. In fact, it's a DNF for me. The writing isn't bad. She has a nice voice, but it just didn't work for me.

It's first-person, which can either work really, really well or be a hindrance. I think in this case, it hurt the story.

When we're first introduced to the heroine, Tisana, she is alone in her cabin working. Her ex-lover Rafe stops by and drops off Leo, who is quite ill.

Tisana goes about cleaning him up and when she gets to his private parts, she's impressed by his limp size. She talks to her cat about him (has animal mindspeech, don't you know) and realizes that he's become erect. And he doesn't have a normal penis. Instead, it is described as...

...What I found there was unlike anything I'd ever seen on any humanoid, from this world or any other. Flaccid at first, his penis appeared to be long and thick, but when I washed it, it blossomed like a rose, the head putting out a wide corona with a scalloped edge.


All I could think after reading that passage was...EW!!! And it drips precum constantly. Not from the slit but from the corona. And it tastes good! She's so impressed by it that after she washes him, she goes down on him and orgasms just from the taste! I dunno about you, but all I kept thinking was that it sounded like he had some sort of venereal disease to make him leak like that.

It just got more ridiculous from there. The love scene (if you want to call it that) wasn't any good. It read more like puzzle pieces being put together than anything else.

And maybe I'm being harsh. I've read other reviews from people who said they liked it. More power to them. To me, it just didn't do anything for me.

So, in the future, I'm hoping I will not have to read anymore books by this author. She has a nice voice, writing-wise, but the story itself just doesn't do it for me.


My Rating: DNF (did not finish)