Saturday, November 29, 2008

Frostbite by Richelle Mead

When love and jealousy collide on the slopes, winter break turns deadly...

Rose Hathaway's got serious guy trouble. Her gorgeous tutor Dimitri has his eye on someone else, her friend Mason has a huge crush on her, and she keeps getting stuck in her best friend Lissa's head while she's making out with her boyfriend, Christian.

Then a massive Strigoi attack puts St. Vladimir's on high alert, and the Academy crawls with Guardians--including the legendary Janine Hathaway...Rose's formidable, long-absent mother. The Strigoi are closing in, and the Academy's not taking any risks. This year, St. Vlad's holiday ski trip is mandatory.

But the glittering white landscape and posh Idaho resort only provide the illusion of safety. When three students run away to strike back against the deadly Strigoi, Rose must join forces with Christian to rescue them. Only this time, Rose--and her heart--are in more danger than she ever could imagine.


I actually read this book right after reading book 1, but for some reason didn't review it right away. I don't know if I was trying to let it gel in my head or what exactly my problem was, but there you go.

What did I think of Frostbite? Actually, I enjoyed it quite a bit. In some ways, liked it more than book 1. In this book, Rose is dealing with Lissa's relationship with Christian (at the beginning, anyway) and she's not too sure what she thinks of it. She keeps getting sucked in to Lissa's mind whenever her emotions are running high, so she actually ends up partaking of Christian's lovemaking skills more often than she'd like. And it doesn't help that Rose is still a virgin. Some things should remain sacred, you know?

After the Strigoi attack St. Vlad's, the school is overrun by Guardians. This book shows what Rose's relationship is like with her mom. Let me put it this way...I am so thankful that Janine is NOT my mother. Her life has been dedicated to her charges, not her daughter. To say that their relationship is a bit antagonistic is an understatement.

We learn more about Rose's father and the origins of how her father and mother got together. That was very interesting, especially when taken into context with the relationship that Rose would like to start with Dimitri.

Ah, Dimitri. Talk about a sexy hero. He's so strong and sexy and dedicated to Rose. All along, Rose has taken it for granted that she would be Lissa's Guardian for the rest of their lives. Now that Dimitri has come into the picture, things aren't exactly as they seem. He makes a comment to Rose that just about broke my heart. I won't tell you, but you'll know what it is (if you read the book).

And the end? Oh man! After the Strigoi attack and St. Vlad's goes on their annual skiing trip, a couple of students make a really stupid decision to go after the Strigoi (I'm not giving anything away, since this is told on the back blurb). Rose decides to go find them and bring them back. In that, she's an idiot. Instead of going to the Guardians to let them know, she makes a really asinine decision that will change her life forever.

So ends my review for Frostbite, book 2 in Richelle's Vampire Academy series. It was excellent and I was so glad I bought all three to devour immediately. I just wish I could like her adult novels as much as I do her YA.



My Rating: B+

No comments: