Monday, May 11, 2009

The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie by Jennifer Ashley

There has been a lot of talk about this book throughout the blogosphere and when I stopped by B&N today to pick up the other books I had on hold, I decided to pick it up. Here's the back blurb:

It was whispered all through London Society that he was a murdered, that'd spent his youth in an asylum and was not to be trusted--especially by a lady. Any woman caught in his presence was immediately ruined. Yet Beth found herself inexorably drawn to the Scottish lord whose hint of a brogue wrapped around her like silk and whose touch could draw her into a world of ecstasy. Despite his decadence and intimidating intelligence, she could see he needed help. Her help. Because suddenly the only thing that made sense to her was "the Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie".


Okey-dokey, now to put into words what I felt about this book. I wasn't horribly impressed with the book, but am going to do my trusty Good/Bad list for your enjoyment.


The Good:


I thought Lord Ian was interesting. The fact that he has Asperger's Syndrome is quite unusual, esp. for a historical romance. Did I like him? Eh...but I understood him.

Beth-For what she found herself in the midst of, I thought she handled things quite admirably. Being thrown into the middle of the Mackenzie family wouldn't be easy on anyone, but she handles it with aplomb.

The basic overall storyline: It wasn't...bad.


The Bad: The Mackenzies. We know that each of them is going to get their own story, since most of them have their heroines introduced within this book. Obvious sequel bait. Whoot...not.

The Villain: Times 2. Neither worked for me. One was just ridiculous and the other was just annoying.


I dunno...maybe it's the funk I'm in. I'm not sure. All I can say is that this book just didn't work for me. It wasn't a bad book, but it wasn't the best book I've ever read. Maybe I'll try again at a later date and like it more.

As for right now?


Overall Rating: C+

3 comments:

Ana said...

Wow, the first "negative" review of this book I see. EXCELLENT. I haven't read it frankly because I think the hero sounds too unrealistic to me....

Christine said...

Eeeep! A negative review! LOL

I shall read it for myself and see what side of the fence I sit on. Or if my place is just on the fence.

Thanks for the review. :)

Kristie (J) said...

LOL - As one of the 'leaders of the pack on this book, the part of me that thinks this one is one of those extra special books that doesn't come along to often, hopes it was just that you were is a funk, but the realistic 'knows that everyone isn't going to enjoy the same book' appreciates that you gave this one a try even though it didn't work as well for you.