Sunday, January 27, 2008

Iron Kissed by Patricia Briggs

Here is the blurb for Iron Kissed-I could smell her fear, and it satisfied something deep inside me that had been writhing under her cool, superior gaze. I curled my upper lip so she could get a good look at my sharp teeth. I might only weigh thirty or so pounds in my coyote shape, but I was a predator...

Mechanic Mercy Thompson can shift her shape...but not her loyalty. When her former boss and mentor is arrested for murder and left to rot behind bars by his own kind, it's up to Mercy to clear his name, whether he wants her to or not.

Mercy's loyalty is under pressure from other directions, too. Werewolves are not known for their patience, and if Mercy can't decide between the two she cares for, Sam and Adam may make the choice for her...

*SPOILERS AHEAD*

What to say about Iron Kissed? Truthfully, I say it's my favorite of the series so far. Is it controversial? Uh, yeah. In fact, I know there were certain aspects of this book that turned a lot of readers off. Why not me? I think it's because it was a catalyst. It forced Mercy to make a decision (finally).

Though the book itself is very, very dark, there are moments of humor. Thankfully, the author realizes that without a break from all the bad things, this book would just be depressing. Each of her books has a subtle humor, be it the play between Mercy & Adam, Adam's daughter, or the interaction between Mercy and Adam's pack. There's also a lot of love between her & those she cares for. It gives a warm feeling, even when darkness is falling all around her.

When Mercy's mentor Zee is arrested for murder, Mercy does all she can to get him out. One thing I can say about the woman is that she's definitely loyal to those she loves. The idea of Zee being stuck in jail for the rest of his very long fae life is not something she can handle thinking about. She knows he's not guilty, but is having a very hard time proving it.

To add to her stress, her relationships with Sam & Adam are reaching the point of no return. If she can't choose between the two, then she will lose them both. But which one to choose? I gotta say, I like the fact that she didn't just choose one at the drop of a hat. She's really & truly confused as to her feelings for them both. One has her loyalty & love from her youth and one has her attraction and love as well. Confusion is only natural.

The book itself is very dark. Mercy has to make a lot of decisions this time around and not every decision is going to be a good one. She's human and that's why I love this series so much. She makes mistakes and has to pay for them. She's not infallible and she's not all-knowing.

Her biggest mistake is to take something at face value and not see below the surface. It comes back to haunt her in ways she probably never imagined. *spoiler* The scene of the rape is dark, sinister and so surprising. I was honestly shocked when the scene started to take place. That's not something that's usually in a series like this, especially from a story written in first person. I also like the fact that it's written in a way that brings up more questions for Mercy. It's not black & white/cut & dry, it's confused and messes up her head. It's a brutal scene, but it's not...not typical, but not as clear as so many scenes are.*endspoiler*


All in all, I really did enjoy this one. I hope the 4th one is even better. If you didn't read the spoiler, let me just say that this book is very brutal in a lot of ways & might not be suitable for all readers. If you like books that aren't cut & dry, then you'll love it.


Rating: B+

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I absolutely love this series. LOVE it! I think I have actually started to hold up other Urban Fantasy novels to these books. (Sadly, the L.L. Foster book I just read did not measure up AT ALL!) I love the dynamic between Mercy and Adam. I thought it was interesting, if slightly convenient, how things settled between Mercy and Sam. I hope she has something/one special planned for him.

I read over on her site that Briggs says the next book will be a bit lighter. Not so much trauma for poor Mercy. I am very excited and impatient for the release of Charles and Anna's book. Did you read the short story that has set up their series?