Sunday, January 27, 2008

Blood Bound by Patricia Briggs

I haven't blogged about a lot of books lately. Right now I'm mostly rereading, but there are a bunch of books coming out shortly I'm very much looking forward to.


Blood Bound is one of the books I recently reread. I'll be blogging about Iron Kissed as well. Here is the blurb for Blood Bound-Under the rule of science, there are no witch burnings allowed, no water trials or public lynchings. In return, the average law-abiding, solid citizen has little to worry about from the things that go bump in the night. Sometimes I wish I was an average citizen...

Mechanic Mercy Thompson has friends in low places...and in dark ones. And now she owes one of them a favor. Since she can shapeshift at will, she agrees to act as some extra muscle when her vampire friend Stefan goes to deliver a mesage to another of his kind.

But this new vampire is hardly ordinary...and neither is the demon inside him...


What to say about this book? I really enjoyed it a great deal. It seems to me that the writing is a bit tighter than it was in Moon Called. Not that MC wasn't a great book, because it was. However, in BB the relationships Mercy has with everyone is fully established and you can just enjoy the ride.

What I find so interesting about this world Ms. Briggs has created is how rich the landscape is. It's dark and dreary in a lot of ways, but she also shows you the beauty of it as well.

When Stefan asks Mercy along, it's to tell a vampire to get lost. Stefan's Mistress is NOT happy that an unknown vampire has entered her territory & she wants him gone. Mercy owes Stefan because of the help he gave her in MC, so she agrees to go with him. He just didn't tell her it was to roust out a demon-possessed sorcerer vampire.

BB is a very fast-paced book. It seems like every time Mercy turns around, she's needed for something. There's also a bit of mystery too when Adam, Samuel and Stefan go missing after they start investigating these mysterious murders that have happened. It's bloody, it's brutal, but boy is it fun to read!

The sensuality also gets amped up as well. Mercy still hasn't made up her mind when it comes to Adam or Samuel, but both men are going out of their way to show her they desire her. No sex in the entire book, but boyhowdy, I sure wanted to see some!

Do I recommend this book? You betcha! It's a great action-packed fantasy/paranormal with romantic undertones. The men are sexy, the women are strong and that's just how I like my stories.

Rating: Strong B

No comments: