Friday, August 29, 2008

Legacy by Jeanne C. Stein

Anna Strong was a tough-as-nails bounty hunter until the night she was attacked by a vampire--and changed forever...

Since then, Anna has struggled to adapt to her supernatural status while clinging to the vestiges of her humanity. Avery---the sinister vampire who turned her---is dead, and Anna learns that she's entitled to his vast fortune. Then a predatory werewolf comes forward, claiming to be Avery's widow. She demands the entire estate and makes it clear that she and her pack think nothing of killing Anna--and those who matter to her--to get what's owed them. Now Anna must protect those she loves from a werewolf out for the two most precious things in the world: blood...and money.


Hmm...the back blurb is actually wrong. Anna wasn't changed by Avery, but she was betrayed by him. Just thought I'd clear that up.


I think of the 4 books in this series, Legacy is the strongest one yet. Poor Anna...if it's not one thing, it's something else. Her best friend and partner hates her, she has to work with someone she can't stand and things just keep going from bad to worse when it comes to her old lover and betrayer, Avery.

In this book, she is asked by Gloria, her partner David's girlfriend, to help her out. Gloria is being blackmailed by her business partner and wants Anna's help in getting that stopped. Secrets are revealed, Anna is fried because of what Gloria has done, and David, as per usual, blames Anna. He is ruled by his man parts and not his big brain. Typical guy.

Gloria's business partner winds up dead, Gloria is accused and Anna goes on the search for the real killer. That about covers that plot.

As for the werewolf...I actually thought that was the weaker plotline. For one thing, it's almost impossible for me to believe that what happens actually happens and for another, it just wasn't resolved in way that satisfies me. Actually, I think that's the case for both of the plot lines. There's really no real resolution and I hate that.

Still, the writing is solid as always and I like Anna. She's tough, but she also has a heart. Sometimes that heart really takes a beating, but she's strong and goes out of her way to get things done.


All in all, I really did enjoy the book. The resolutions sucked, but the story itself wasn't bad. I still say it's the strongest of the 4. I would say read it for Anna more than anything. She's so much fun to watch. :)


My Rating: C+

1 comment:

Jeanne Stein said...

I'm just catching up after coming back from DragonCon-- I just had to comment on the model at the top of your column.

Wow--

Jeanne