Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Storm Born by Richelle Mead

Eugenie Markham is a powerful shaman who does a brisk trade banishing spirits and fey who cross into the mortal world. Mercenary, yes, but a girl's got to eat. Her most recent case, however, is enough to ruin her appetite. Hired to find a teenager who has been taken to the Otherworld, Eugenie comes face to face with a startling prophecy--one that uncovers dark secrets about her past and claims that Eugenie's first-born will threaten the future of the world as she knows it.

Now Eugenie is a hot target for every ambitious demon and Otherworldly ne'er-do-well, and the ones who don't want to knock her up want her dead. Eugenie handles a Glock as smoothly as she wields a wand, but she needs some formidable allies for a job like this. She finds them in Dorian, a seductive fairy king with a taste for bondage, and Kiyo, a gorgeous shape-shifter who redefines animal attraction. But with enemies growing bolder and time running out, Eugenie realizes that the greatest danger is yet to come, and it lies in the dark powers that are stirring to life within her...


Richelle Mead is known for her Succubus series. I think this one is a new one for her. I've never read her succubus books, so I wasn't sure what I was in for when it came to this book. I'm still not sure what I think of this book, but here are my impressions so far.

What I Liked:

The storyline. A different twist on the urban fantasy/paranormal romance world.

Kiyo...what a hottie. I'm such a sucker for shape-shifters. It's kind of a sickness.

The basic overall story was truly fascinating.


What I Didn't Like:


Eugenie. Not sure why she rubbed me wrong, but I never did grow to like her. When she finds out the big "secret" all she does is whine (or so it seemed to me).

The romance(s). The one she chose was pretty much a given. Do I believe she loved him? No...probably because their relationship was nothing but sex. And there's also a pretty major betrayal too. For shame!

The so-called plot twists. I figured out what 99% of the plot would be not even a quarter of the way thru the story. They weren't bread crumbs, they were clobbered over the head type clues.



Did I like the story? Yes, it was okay. It's definitely not the best book I've ever read. Maybe that's just me. However, I have to say I like Richelle's voice. She's very much into the worlds she creates and I can respect that. Will I read her again? I'm not sure. Maybe.


Overall Rating: C

1 comment:

Sarai said...

Hum I haven't read anything by her... IDK if I should pick this up now or not? the blurb sounds interesting.