Monday, August 31, 2009

Review # 1

REVIEW FOR HEALING LUKE BY BETH CORNELISON

I started writing reviews on a lark. I thought it would be fun to express my opinions on books I’d read and to tell the world about books I really enjoyed. And then I got contacted by a lovely woman named Danielle who offered me an opportunity to review for her company. I’ve been lucky enough to read some great books and some not-so-great books. Healing Luke falls somewhere in the middle.

Healing Luke is the story of Luke Morgan and Abby Stanford. Luke was horribly disfigured in a freak accident; taking him from heartthrob to freak (his words). Since then, he’s lived in a world of blame and horror, making the lives of those around him pretty hellish.

Abby is on vacation alone after finding her fiancĂ© in bed with another woman, her self confidence and belief in herself less than stellar. She meets Luke when she stops by the Marina and she has to deal with his surliness and he’s struck by the freshness of her beauty (of course).

And what a coinky-dink! Abby is an occupational therapist. And what do you know? She can help Luke get over his injuries! Shocking!

Okay, I’m being facetious and I shouldn’t be. However, it’s really hard to be ecstatic about a book that’s so similar to so many others of the same type. Bubbly, good-hearted woman scorned by a “bad” man falls for a wounded, bitter hero who is healed by her love. It gets old after awhile.

Saying that, I did enjoy Ms. Cornelison’s writing. I thought her style was nice and the story moved along quickly. I did not like the side story of Luke’s brother and Abby’s best friend. I hope it doesn’t go in the direction I think it will.

All in all, it wasn’t a bad book. It wasn’t AMAZING, but it was a well-written story. If you like the uber-bitter heroes who fall for good-hearted heroines, then this would be the book for you.

Overall Rating: C+

No comments: