Monday, June 15, 2009

Love At First Flight by Marie Force

First off, I have to say it's been awhile since I've actually read the book, but it made enough of an impression on me that I don't have to reread before reviewing. The basic idea is that Michael & Juliana meet at the airport when they're both on their way to see their significant others. After a great conversation, they go on their separate ways.



Michael is engaged to a society miss and Juliana is in a long-term relationship w/ the first guy she's ever dated (10 years). After their conversation, they both realize they're missing something in their relationships and do some soul searching.



Juliana finds out her boyfriend has been considering cheating on her (they were each others firsts) and it really throws her for a loop. Michael realizes that his fiancee is more concerned about their wedding than their relationship. It's much more shallow than he remembers.



Anyway, they split from their respective significant others and end up meeting up again. Dating...sex...more dating...more sex. And Michael is in the midst of a high-profile case (he's an attorney).



They break up (won't go into detail...it's a pretty "big" deal) and then it focuses on Juliana for quite awhile.



Okay, so I'm going to go into my patented Good/Bad List. There were some doozies.





The Good:





For the most part Juliana & Michael were both pretty cool. I like the fact that a relationship doesn't start up UNTIL they've broken up with their signficant others. I HATE stories where cheating is involved.



The Storyline...For the most part. There are a couple aspects of it that drive me nuts.



The Bad:



Okay, first of all, Michael is an attorney. The case he's on is HIGH profile and as we all know, you are NOT supposed to talk about your cases w/ a complete stranger. Right up front, while talking to Juliana (very beginning of book), he tells her what case he's working on. That just struck me as wrong.



The reason why Juliana & Michael broke up. In some ways I can understand it. I mean, she was only in one real relationship in her life for ten years and she had to see it to the end (so to speak). I won't go into major details, but I will say I was disappointed in the execution.



Juliana...for the most I actually liked her until the end. Then I just wanted to smack her upside the head. I think the way she handled things was just ridiculous.



My least favorite romance cliche...the big misunderstanding. Yeah, it was pretty unique, but still came across as pretty contrived.





So, all in all I have to give this book props for being entertaining. I read it the day I got it from Sourcebooks. Is it the best book I've ever read? No, but it was good.







My Rating: C+

No comments: