Thursday, January 21, 2010

My Dearest Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

*Received ARC via the publisher*


I've been a big fan of Ms. Lathan's since the first book in her Darcy Saga came out. First of all, it's based, not only on my favorite book, but one of my all-time favorite movies. My Dearest Mr. Darcy takes off where Loving Mr. Darcy ends.

The Darcy's lives are going in directions I don't think of them expected. A baby on the way, a marriage that's still so very new and a love that's more powerful than just about anything.

Whereas the first book was about the very beginning of their marriage and them getting to know eachother and the second book was about them travelling, MDMD is more about them getting ready for their new baby and how they go about doing it.

Ms. Lathan works with babies in her real life and you can see that in how she writes about the Darcy's preparation for their new arrival. Where most books only hint at the baby and then boom it's there, she really goes into detail about not only Lizzie's physical changes, but also the emotional ones that both she and Darcy are going through.

Ms. Lathan also makes the Darcy's pretty forward-thinking and progressive when it comes to how they want to handle the birth.

I'm thankful that this book doesn't have anything bad happening to Lizzie like the first 2 books did.

There are two things I really enjoy about Ms. Lathan's books. One-the true expression of feeling between Lizzie and Fitzwilliam. Their love is something you really believe in. You want them to be happy and to live a long, fulfilling life together. Two-the secondary characters. There are quite a few of them and usually I'd find myself confused, but she's able to pull it off. My favorite secondary character is Fitzwilliam's Uncle.

His uncle is a doctor who spent many years in India and whose past is rather tragic. He's going to be there for the delivery of the baby and the way he interacts with both Lizzie and Darcy brings some much-needed humor to the story.

The end will bring a tear to your eyes, especially if you've invested your time into this world that Ms. Lathan has created. To see how powerful and meaningful the end is and what it does to bring the two of them even closer together...*sigh*

All in all, I have to give two big thumbs up to Sharon. She did an excellent job...again and I can't wait to see where she takes this family that I've come to love.


Overall Rating: B+/A-

2 comments:

Sharon Lathan said...

Thank you Bridget! I am so happy that you enjoyed my third novel as much as you have the others. And thanks for mentioning Dr. Darcy! I just love that man and think he deserves all the praise possible.

So sorry that I was unaware of your long absence and troubles. It is good to see you back in the blogging world. :) Take care of yourself.

Sincerely, Sharon Lathan

Vee said...

Bridget great review!
You point out so many wonderful aspects of Sharon's brilliant MDMD.
This family has come alive for me through Sharon's writing. Dr Darcy is a must have addition to the Darcy clan. I cannot imagine the book without him. He is so funny and totally adorable.
Darcy & Lizzy's passion and devotion to each other shines through in all their adventures.
Baby Darcy is a sweet addition to a "perfect" family.
Sharon's sags is uplifting and an absolute joy to read!
TSBO devotee
Vee